See below for FAQs for the High Tech Transition Pathway Scholarship Program.
What is the High Tech Transition Pathway Scholarship?
- General Motors and Udacity are joining forces to offer 100 fully-funded scholarships to train and empower members of the Detroit metro area and to reshape the tech industry in America.
What does this program entail?
- Udacity and General Motors have teamed up for the High Tech Transition Pathway Scholarship to provide scholarship opportunities for 100 recipients. Students will learn the fundamentals of Java Programming to enhance their skillset and boost hireability through innovative, independent learning.
How can I benefit from this program?
- Through this program, you will be taking a step towards your future and gaining skills that will open up new opportunities for you to become part of the growing digital economy. This challenge is relevant to anyone with an interest and drive. This program will introduce you to fundamental skills of the future: Java Programming. You are equipping yourself with the digital literacy skills needed to achieve your potential in the exciting future of work. You have the opportunity to shape your future, right here, right now. And become part of a powerful and vibrant community that will transform the digital ecosystem around you.
How does the learner journey look like as part of this program?
- You will have the opportunity to be a part of two phases of this challenge: The first phase, which is the foundational phase (open to all learners) and the second phase which is a Udacity Nanodegree scholarship phase (which is more selective). As part of the first phase, you will learn about the foundational elements of the track you've selected, in a subject that is pivotal to the future of work. You will also get the chance to learn more about the state of remote work and how to manage yourself and your teams, if you choose to be or find yourself in a remote work setting. And the good news is, there are NO prerequisites to starting this program. You do not need any previous knowledge or experience! Because you will be learning all the fundamentals with us! The best part is if you dedicate only ONE hour a day for studying, you will be able to finish the first phase in less than a month, and if you have spend TWO hours a day studying, you'll be able to finish the first phase in less than two weeks! It's all in your hands. It's in your control. After completing the first phase, you will get the chance to assess what you’ve learned through a certification assessment. Once you pass this assessment, you will be awarded with a Certificate of Completion from Udacity. With that, you'll be done with the first phase. Now, if you are interested in advancing your knowledge even further and empower yourself to take on the jobs of the future, you can try out for the second phase - the Udacity Nanodegree Scholarship.
- To try out, you will need to complete and pass the Final Assessment, set at a predefined date, which will test your skills further in your previously selected topic. If you're found eligible, you will be shortlisted for the Nanodegree Scholarship! This is a selective process, so make sure you're ready for that Final Assessment when the date approaches! And throughout your entire journey and across both phases, you will have access to an online community platform, where you will get to ask other students and tutors for support to help you through any learning difficulties or even to network! This is going to be a fun ride.
What are the eligibility criteria to enroll?
- Any individual eligible to work in the US is eligible to enroll in this program. Individuals should be located within a commutable distance from the following cities: Detroit, MI, Pontiac, MI, Warren, MI, Flint, MI with access to transportation.
Are there any fees for enrollment?
- No, this is a free scholarship
What is the duration program?
- The program is two-phased. Phase 1 is designed to run from April 12th until May 27th. Phase 2 is designed to run from July 7th until September 22nd. However, it is important to note that the program is self-paced, you can finish it in less than the designed duration if you wish.
What are the prerequisites for enrollment?
- There are no prerequisities for enrollment.
How do I enroll in the program?
- You can know more details and enroll here
Is this program online, in-person, or a combination of both?
- This is a fully online program with a live-virtual mandatory connect sessions in the second phase. Throughout the cohort, students get to learn through online videos in their classroom and interact with peers, coaches, and instructors on their community platform and in their weekly Connect Sessions.
How can I apply for the Final Assessment?
- After passing the phase 1 Certification Assessment and gaining your Certificate of Completion, you’ll be enrolled for the Final Assessment. Final Assessment details and instructions are found in the “Certificate of Completion and Final Assessment” section in your classroom. Once the assessment is available on May 27th at 9:00am EST, the link to take the assessment will be sent through email only to graduates of the first phase. Udacity will leave the link open to the Filtration Assessment for 48 hours, allowing you two full days to complete it.
How can I know if I have been qualified for Phase 2?
- You will receive an email from the Udacity team confirming that you have been qualified for Phase 2 following your Final Assessment.
When does Phase 2 start?
- Phase 2 will launch on July 7th. Learners will be invited to join a live webinar "Kickoff" event to cover the details of the program and join a cohort of students to start their Nanodegree that day. Kindly note that a lot of valuable details will be mentioned in the kick-off! This is why it is mandatory to attend to know all info about your learning journey in phase 2!
What are the criteria to be selected for Phase 2?
- Students who successfully receive the Certification of Completion are eligible to take the Final Assessment for their corresponding Nanodegree Program scholarship. Final Assessment details and instructions are found in the “Certificate of Completion and Final Assessment” section in your classroom. Once the assessment is available on June 6, 2022 (the assessment date), the link to take the assessment will be sent through email only to those who completed the CA. You will need to sit for the Final Assessment between June 6, 2022 and June 8, 2022. There are no other days that this Assessment will take place. Accordingly, students who sit for the Final Assessment will then go through a selection process based on their score and selected candidates will be shortlisted for the Nanodegree Program scholarship.
- This program aims to enable underrepresented communities in technology, with a focus on those from Black and Latinx communities, and women in the Detroit Metro area. Participants in this program will also be eligible for employment opportunities at General Motors offices located in the Detroit Metro area.
Can I compete for the Nanodegree program more than once?
- Students will only be eligible for one attempt at passing the Final Assessment, per Nanodegree track over the 48-hour period when the Final Assessment is live. This is your way of competing for the Nanodegree program in phase 2.
Will you provide us with any kind of career support?
- Udacity will provide supportive career content as part of the High Tech Transition Pathway Scholarship.
Can I change the email address that I have used to sign-up?
- You should maintain the same email address you used to apply for the High Tech Transition Pathway Scholarship for the duration of your entire course in order to maintain eligibility for this Nanodegree program.
Can I withdraw/postpone studying after I am enrolled?
- There are no withdrawal or postponing options after you are enrolled in any of the phases. You should only join this program if you are committed to learning and graduating within the defined timeline of the program.
How many assessments should I expect as part of this journey?
- As part of Phase 1, there is one summative assessment called the Certification Assessment, which you must pass in order to get certified for the second phase of the program. Additionally, you must pass a Final Assessment prior to being enrolled in Phase 2 of the program.
When will the Certification Assessment be available?
- The Certification Assessment will be available on your classroom from the date of your enrollment and until May 27th. You will no longer be eligible to take the Certification Assessment or get certified beyond the end date of the classroom.
When will the Final Assessment be available?
- The Final Assessment will be available on June 6th for those who have completed Phase 1 and successfully received their Certificate of Completion. You must register for the Final Assessment by May 27th in order to sit for the Final Assessment.
Can I take Assessments more than once?
- Yes, you can take the Certification Assessment more than once as long as you are still within phase 1 timelines. However, you will have only one chance to pass the Final Assessment per Nanodegree category in order to qualify for Phase 2.