See below for frequently asked questions regarding the AWS Machine Learning Engineer Scholarship Program.
What is the AWS Machine Learning Engineer Scholarship Program?
- AWS and Udacity are collaborating to educate developers of all skill levels on machine learning concepts. We invite learners globally 18 years of age or older who are interested in expanding their machine learning skills and expertise to enroll in the AWS Machine Learning Engineer Scholarship Program
What does this program entail?
- The goal for this program is to up-level machine learning skills to all, and to cultivate the next generation of ML leaders across the world, with a focus on underrepresented groups. Through its We Power Tech Program, AWS collaborates with professional organizations that are leading initiatives to increase the diversity and talent in technical roles, including organizations like Girls In Tech.
- The scholarship is open to all for registration starting June 21, 2022. Scholarship participants will spend about 2 months in the AWS Machine Learning Foundations Course. The course covers the fundamentals of machine learning, steps in machine learning process, reinforcement learning, generative AI, software engineering best practices for data science, and how to build your own python package. The foundations course is intended to help developers of all skill levels get started with machine learning.
- At the end of the AWS Machine Learning Foundations Course, learners will take an assessment from which top performers will be selected for one of 325 follow-up scholarships to one of Udacity’s most popular and recently refreshed Nanodegree programs: The AWS Machine Learning Engineer Nanodegree program.
How can I benefit from this program?
- Students will have the opportunity to work on real-world projects designed by industry experts to build their portfolio of skills and learn one of four core skills sets to prepare them for a career in a job of the future.
What does the learner journey look like as part of this program?
- Phase 1: Scholarship Foundations Course
- 100% of applicants will gain access to the foundations course on June 21, 2022 and July 21, 2022. Students can complete the foundations content at their own pace before the deadline of November 23, 2022. The course will help students develop object-oriented programming skills including writing clean and modularized code, understanding the fundamental aspects of machine learning, and also utilizing key AWS machine learning technologies, namely AWS AI Devices including AWS DeepRacer and AWS DeepComposer. At the completion of the course, learners will receive a certificate for having completed the foundations course. Finally, learners will receive instructions to take an online assessment quiz that will be used to select the top scorers who will receive a full scholarship for Udacity’s popular AWS Machine Learning Engineer Nanodegree program.
- Phase 2: Full Scholarship for a Udacity Nanodegree program
- 325 Scholarship participants who complete all program content and receive top scores from the online assessment quiz from the foundational program will earn a scholarship to the AWS Machine Learning Engineer Nanodegree program. Nanodegree programs typically require several hours of work per week for the duration of the Nanodegree program, from December 8, 2022 through March 22, 2023. This program will offer world-class curriculum, a groundbreaking classroom experience, industry-leading instructors, thorough project reviews and a full suite of career services.
What are the eligibility criteria to enroll?
- Anyone 18 years of age and older is encouraged to register. You must register for the scholarship program by July 21, 2022, complete the foundations course and submit the assessment quiz by November 23, 2022 at 11:59pm PST to be considered for the scholarship. Udacity employees and individuals that reside in countries subject to U.S. trade restrictions are ineligible to register.
- Scholarship recipients should be prepared to invest about 3-5 hours per week during the Foundations Course, which is available for up to 5 months but typically takes about 2 months to complete, and about 10 hours per week during the Nanodegree program, which should run for 4 months.
- All learners are welcome to take the foundations course, but completion of a beginning level programming course is recommended to fully engage in all of the coursework.
Are there any fees for enrollment?
- No, this is a free scholarship
How do I enroll in the Scholarship?
- You can register anytime between June 21, 2022 and July 21, 2022. The program content will become available in the Udacity Classroom to Scholarship participants on June 21, 2022.
Are there any non-technical prerequisites or costs associated with this program?
- Both the foundational course and Nanodegree program will provide optional lab for learners to perform tasks in the AWS console on an active AWS account. Learners will need to submit a credit card on file with AWS to create an AWS account should they wish to complete these labs. The optional exercises can be completed using AWS Free Tier services. Learners may incur a cost if they complete the optional exercise and use up AWS Free Tier services.
How will I know if I am accepted for the scholarship (phase 2)?
- We will contact you via email on December 6, 2022. So, please make sure to check your e-mail frequently. Please use one email for everything during the program, and make sure to check your spam folder to see if you received emails from our side.
Is this program online, in-person, or a combination of both?
- The program takes place 100% online. You can work from wherever you want to, as long as you have a working internet connection.
How can I know if I have been qualified for Phase 2?
- You will receive an email from the Udacity team confirming that you have been qualified for Phase 2
When does Phase 2 start?
- Nanodegree programs typically require several hours of work per week for the duration of the Nanodegree program, from December 8, 2022 through March 22, 2023.
What are the criteria to be selected for Phase 2?
- After the foundations course ends, follow-up scholarships will be provided for the Udacity AWS Machine Learning Engineer Nanodegree program. Students will be evaluated based on successful completion of lessons in Phase 1 in addition to their online assessment quiz performance.
Can I change the email address that I have used to sign-up?
- You should maintain the same email address you used to apply for the Program for the duration of your entire course in order to maintain eligibility for this Nanodegree program.
Can I withdraw/postpone studying after I am enrolled?
- There are no withdrawal or postponing options available in the program. You should only join this program if you are committed to learning and graduating within the defined timeline of the program.
How many assessments should I expect as part of this journey?
- As part of Phase 1, there is one summative assessment called the Certification Assessment, which you must pass in order to get certified for the second phase of the program..
When will the Certification Assessment be available?
- The Certification Assessment will be available in your classroom from the date of your enrollment until November 23rd, 2022. You will no longer be eligible to take the Certification Assessment or get certified beyond the end date of the classroom.
Can I take Assessments more than once?
- Yes, you can take the Certification Assessment more than once as long as you are still within phase 1 timelines.