See below for frequently asked questions regarding the AWS AI & ML Scholarship Program.
What is the AWS AI & ML Scholarship Program?
- If you’re a high school or college student, over the age of 16, and you’re interested in a career in artificial intelligence (AI) and machine learning (ML), this scholarship program is for you.
- The Amazon Web Services Artificial Intelligence & Machine Learning Scholarship program aims to help students underrepresented and underserved in tech to learn foundational machine learning concepts as they prepare for a career in one of today’s hottest and fastest-growing fields.
What does this program entail?
- The AWS AI & ML Scholarship program, in collaboration with Intel and Udacity, is an AI/ML-focused scholarship program providing 2,500 scholarships over 2022 and 2023, as well as a mentorship program, to students that identify as underserved and underrepresented in technology.
- The program aims to make the future tech workforce more diverse by removing financial barriers, providing training for a career in tech, and offering mentorship support to individuals that are underserved or underrepresented in tech.
How can I benefit from this program?
- Students will have the opportunity to work on real-world projects designed by industry experts to build their portfolio of skills and learn one of four core skills sets to prepare them for a career in a job of the future.
What does the learner journey look like as part of this program?
- Phase 1:
- Enroll in AWS DeepRacer Student, where students can access 20 hours of AWS AI & ML content at launch, receive 10 hours of model training, and 5 GB of storage per month to participate in the AWS DeepRacer Student League. Be sure to opt into the AI & ML Scholarship to begin the application prerequisites.
- Phase 2:
- Udacity will then award 2,000 students with a scholarship for the Udacity AI Programming with Python Nanodegree program (1,000 in a summer cohort and 1,000 in a winter cohort.) All 2,000 students will have the opportunity to attend monthly virtual mentoring events with industry experts. This four-month course teaches the foundational skills for obtaining a career in AI & ML, in a collaborative virtual class environment with mentorship from Udacity, Amazon, and Intel advisors.
- Phase 3:
- All graduates from the winter and summer cohorts will be invited to take an assessment. The 500 students with the highest score on the assessment will earn a second Udacity Nanodegree Program Scholarship to help further prepare them for a career in artificial intelligence and machine learning. Additionally, the top 500 students in the AWS AI & ML Scholarship program will have access to one-to-one mentorship opportunities from tenured machine learning experts from Amazon, Intel and other institutions to provide career advice for 12 months.
Who can apply to the AWS AI & ML Scholarship program?
- Any student over the age of 16 who self-identifies as underserved or underrepresented in technology, and is currently enrolled in high school or college, may apply (subject to terms and conditions on Udacity coming March 1, 2022).
How does the Scholarship program leverage AWS DeepRacer?
The AWS AI & ML Scholarship program uses a student-only version of the award-winning AWS DeepRacer League to qualify participants for scholarship opportunities. This league engages students with fun, hands-on learning opportunities. Students that complete the program requisites (from high school students over the age of 16 to college students) are invited to apply for one of 2,500 Udacity Nanodegree scholarships, with the opportunity to continue learning with a more advanced nanodegree, helping them prepare for a career in technology.
How do I enroll in the AWS AI & ML Scholarship program?
- Start by signing up for AWS DeepRacer Student and opt in to the AI & ML Scholarship program. There is currently over 20 hours of free content available to start learning today. Track your progress for the AI & ML Scholarship program requirements on AWS DeepRacer Student. Once you complete the prerequisites, you’ll get a unique code via email that you can use to submit your application.
Are there any fees for enrollment?
- No, this is a free scholarship
What is the duration program?
- APRIL 11 - JULY 13, 2022: AWS AI & ML Scholarship applications open on Udacity’s website (Summer cohort)
- JUNE 30, 2022: Last day to complete prerequisites on the AWS DeepRacer Student website to earn Summer cohort scholarship access on Udacity
- JULY 27, 2022: AWS AI & ML Scholarship Nanodegree Program 1 opens (Summer cohort)
- DECEMBER 9, 2022: AWS AI & ML Scholarship Nanodegree Program 1 ends (Summer cohort)
What are the prerequisites for enrollment?
- There are no prerequisites for this program. You will need access to reliable internet and have knowledge of basic computer skills.
How do I apply for the program?
- Start by signing up for AWS DeepRacer Student and opt in to the AI & ML Scholarship program. There is currently over 20 hours of free content available to start learning today. Track your progress for the AI & ML Scholarship program requirements on AWS DeepRacer Student. Once you complete the prerequisites, you’ll get a unique code via email that you can use to submit your Udacity application.
When will the Udacity applications open/close?
- Applications opened on April 11, 2022, and will close on July 13, 2022.
How will I know if I am accepted for the scholarship?
- We will contact you via email on or before July 25, 2022. So, please make sure to check your e-mail frequently. Please use one email for everything during the program, and make sure to check your spam folder to see if you received emails from our side.
Can I join two Nanodegree Programs at the same time?
- Unfortunately, this is not possible as you will only be accepted in one Nanodegree program only at a time. We recommend that you apply for the Nanodegree program you are most interested in and after you graduate you can apply to other Nanodegree programs in the future cohorts if the program is still available.
Can I cancel an application I submitted?
- A fully submitted application cannot be deleted. Please ensure you are submitting accurate and correct information, and that you are committed to the program timelines before submitting your application.
Is this program online, in-person, or a combination of both?
- This is a fully online program with live virtual connect sessions. Throughout the cohort, students get to learn through online videos in their classroom and interact with peers, coaches, and instructors on their community platform and in their weekly Connect Sessions.
Can I change the email address that I have used to sign-up?
- You should maintain the same email address you used to apply for the Program for the duration of your entire course in order to maintain eligibility for this Nanodegree program.
Can I withdraw/postpone studying after I am enrolled?
- There are no withdrawal or postponing options available in the program. You should only join this program if you are committed to learning and graduating within the defined timeline of the program.